Friday, July 4, 2008

The Italian Adventure begins....

My journey to Florence, Italy, has been a long and eventful one so far, and I am not even in Italy yet! I am sitting at a diner in the London Gatwick airport right now. Just finished lunch - burgers and fries (of course, those of you know about my quest for the world's greatest burger...so far no one has topped Rusty's...but that's another story) - note: now I know why the Brits are not known for their hamburgers. But I am getting ahead of myself and getting off track here. How did I get to this point you may ask? I SHOULD be on a plane halfway to Florence by now, but I'm not.....

Yesterday I departed from Houston and arrived in Atlanta with no problems. Boarded my British Airways flight with ease and settled into my seat, preparing for the long voyage to London. Shortly after, I fell asleep, fully knowing that we would be taking off at any minute. Well, 30 minutes pass by and I awake to the fact that were still sitting on the runway. We hadn't moved one inch! Fantastic. From then on I knew that this journey was going to be an adventure! As expected, we arrived 40 minutes late this morning. Customs was just a sea of people! And now, instead of 2 hrs of a connection time, I was now down to 1 hr 20 min to clear customs, collect my bag from baggage claim, take the train to the international terminal, re-check my bag and get my ticket, go through security - all to make my flight to Florence. Yeah, that didn't happen. By the time I got to the international terminal, I had missed my flight. Praise the Lord! I was able to get on the 3pm flight!! Hence the reason why I am writing to you from a diner in the London airport and not from the air....

Stay tuned for more! This Italian Adventure has only just begun!!!

ps - yes, I DO have my laptop with me this time around!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have recently posted a downloadable Mp3 audio tour on my site noambit.com . The tour walks listeners through the history of the Religious and Political centers of Florence and I though maybe you and your readers would find it useful. If so here is the link:
noambit.com
http://noambit.typepad.com/my_weblog/florence-audio-tour-essen.html